Withdrawal of IC necessary in Sabah – Madius

KOTA KINABALU,  Oct 19  : The United Pasokmomogun Kadazandusun Murut Organisation (UPKO) reiterated its stand for MyKad to be withdrawn in Sabah to address the problems of illegal immigrants getting the documents through unlawful means.

 

Its president, Datuk Seri Wilfred Madius Tangau, said UPKO would continue to call for the government to withdraw the identity card (IC) as it is the only way to get the accurate statistics on the state’s populations.

 

“We have seen the data on the population statistics in Sabah in the survey conducted every 10 years and it shows an abnormal increase than usual compared to the number of births,

 

“The data that was released is dubious and it has been manipulated. We, in UPKO, cannot accept that data on the population statistics and will continue to call for the government to withdraw the identity cards and reissue the cards again based on the constitution and law,” he told reporters after the UPKO Supreme Council meeting here today.

 

Madius said he had met Prime Minister ​​​​​​​Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad recently, during which he brought up the matter.

 

“During the meeting, we submit a memorandum , including on the need to withdraw the identity card. We also informed the prime minister that UPKO had conducted a study on the issuance of identity cards illegally in Sabah , where it was found 80 per cent of the illegal immigrants obtained their identity cards through corruption and the remaining 20 per cent were approached by irresponsible quarters to produce the documents for them,” he added.

 

He said it was based on the study es on the study that the only way to address the problem was to withdraw all the identity cards in Sabah.

More stories