MAKKAH, Aug 14: The number of haj pilgrims this year was recorded to be over 2.48 million, including more than 1.85 million from outside of Saudi Arabia while the rest from inside the Kingdom, reported Saudi Press Agency (SPA).
Quoting Central Hajj Committee Head, Prince Khalid Al-Faisal, who is also the Governor of Makkah Region, SPA reported the pilgrims who violated haj permit and entry regulations numbered 298,379, which is a 29 per cent decrease from 383,000 recorded last year.
Al-Faisal was reported as saying that more than 350,000 workers, as well as 35,000 volunteers, had been providing services to pilgrims this year, in addition to 120,000 security personnel, 200,000 from various sectors and 30,000 health practitioners.
He also said that charities have distributed more than 26 million meals, the electric load capacity reached 4,715 KW, while more than 41 million cubic meters of water were pumped in Makkah and the holy sites, during this year’s haj.
The Governor of Makkah reportedly said more than 2.48 million pilgrims were transported from Arafah to Muzdalifah in six hours including 360,000 pilgrims using the holy sites train, 100,000 using pedestrian passages and other pilgrims used 20,000 buses.
“Health services were provided for more than 500,000 pilgrims. As many as 173 hospitals, health centres and mobile clinics with a capacity of 5,000 beds were made available to serve the pilgrims,” he said, adding that 336 open heart operations and cardiac catheterizations, as well as 2,700 different operations, were conducted.